Unusually, Google launched a new core algorithm update in October 2023, just as its August core algorithm update was winding down.
In the last month, Google has made several updates to its search algorithm. These updates led to significant fluctuations in the rankings. A “Core Update” was last announced in October 2023.
This new October 2023 core update started on October 5 and will likely take around two weeks to complete. Google stated that this update will be effective in all languages and regions. However, no information was given about which queries or searches this update would affect and to what extent.
This update was Google’s third core and seventh official algorithm update in 2023. Google periodically makes such updates to prevent SPAM trends and keep the quality of search results high.
The days we are going through are a complex period for SEO experts and site owners. Google states that SPAM updates will only affect sites that SPAM, while core updates will affect everything. However, such overlapping updates are a game changer for SEO professionals.
As a result, these rapid updates made by Google in the last month have led to significant fluctuations in the rankings. SEO experts and site owners should monitor this process carefully and develop appropriate strategies.
This update benefits sites that produce quality content and share first-hand experiences. In other words, when creating content with artificial intelligence has become dirt cheap, delivering quality, experience-filled content will become invaluable.
Creating User-Focused, Useful and Trustworthy Content
Google’s “Creating User-Centered, Useful and Trustworthy Content” page guides creators on creating more user-centered and trustworthy content to succeed in search engine rankings. The page provides questions for content creators to evaluate their content.
These questions cover content quality, expertise, and user experience. For example, whether the content is original and comprehensive and whether there are spelling or style errors. It also states that questions such as “By whom?”, “How?” and “Why?” the content was created should be answered.
This guide aims to help content creators understand what kind of content Google rewards. In particular, it emphasizes Google’s E-E-A-T (Experience, Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness.). This concept plays a vital role in assessing the quality and credibility of content.
Google’s October 2023 Core Update and User-Centered Content Strategy
As Google’s October 2023 core update approaches, user-centered content strategy becomes even more critical for content creators and SEOs. Google’s updates in recent years have centered on user experience and content quality. Therefore, reviewing your website’s content strategy before the new update is worth checking.
- Content Quality: As outlined in Google’s guidance, your content must be unique and comprehensive. This is especially critical for topics under the YMYL (Your Money or Your Life) category.
- Expertise and Competence: The expertise and competence of the person creating your content should align with Google’s E-E-A-T concept. For example, producing health-related content is an excellent advantage if written by an expert in this field.
- User Experience: The speed, mobile compatibility, and user interface of your website are among the factors that Google considers in ranking. Therefore, do not neglect your technical SEO efforts.
- Reliability: Look for ways to prove that your content is reliable. This could be citing sources or including expert opinions.
- User Centricity: Your content must respond to users’ needs and questions. When producing content, conduct a thorough keyword and user intent analysis to understand what users are searching for and what problems they are trying to solve.
With Google’s new update, these factors will become even more critical. Therefore, I strongly recommend you review your website and content strategy before the update, focusing on these issues.